I've started having this salad a lot for lunch, as an alternative to sandwiches in order to stay healthy and get my 5 a day. I absolutely love beetroot and coriander, so it's the perfect salad for me, and it doesn't feel like a boring salad!
- Beetroot chutney. I used a homemade chutney, but have to admit my mum makes this for me - it's so delicious. The recipe is below for this particular chutney (my favourite one that I've tried).
- Ham, cut into chunks.
- Fresh coriander, chopped.
- Half a red and yellow pepper, chopped.
- 1/4 Cucumber, chopped into chunks.
- Iceberg lettuce, chopped.
Lay the lettuce along the bottom of a bowl, and then add cucumber chunks, sprinkle over peppers and ham, then add the coriander and beetroot. It is pretty much just mixing the ingredients together, but I find that this arrangement is most aesthetically pleasing.
For the beetroot chutney (mums recipe)-
This recipe will make around 6 jars of beetroot chutney.
- 3lb beetroot
- 1.5lb cooking apples
- 0.5lb sugar
- 2 onions
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon
1. Boil beetroot until tender then peel.
2. When cool, cut into small pieces.
3. Mince onions and apples together, then boil for 20 minutes with vinegar, sugar, salt and lemon.
4. Once boiled, add beetroot and boil for a further 20 minutes.
5. Cool and then put into jam jars.